In the event of a Canada Post strike in September 2018, we will do our best to ensure alternative delivery methods are used for client communications.  We can accept communications via email at or fax 905.526.0732.  For account payments e-transfers and credit card payments can be made.  Please call us for further instructions 905.526.9800.

My Uncle died without a will. I am his only living relative. What happens now?

Depending on the assets held by the deceased, you may need to file an “Application for a Certificate of Appointment of the Estate Trustee Without a Will” with the Court.

This application form can get very complicated.  Here are some considerations of this application process:
1. You must be an Ontario resident to apply.

2. All of the following information must be completed on the court forms, and must be consistent with the different forms filed:
              a.            date of death;
              b.            occupation of the deceased (prior to retirement);
              c.             occupation of the estate trustee(s), and addresses.
3. All persons entitled to a share in the estate must be served a Notice of an Application for a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee Without a Will, or provide the court with an explanation as to why a person has not been served, (e.g. address unknown, person has died).

If you need help preparing the Application forms, contact us for help.