Our office is open to maintain essential business functions and provide legal services.  We are committed to the safety and well-being of our Firm, clients, business partners and the community at large. At this time we are asking members of the public to please call ahead before attending our premises. 

My husband was driving when he lost control of his truck and slammed into a tree, causing me serious injuries as a passenger. Can I sue my husband for my injuries?


In Ontario, you are able to make a claim against an at-fault party for injuries suffered in a car accident, even if that at-fault party is a spouse or other family member. Although it may be a difficult decision to make, bringing a claim against an at -fault family member is a necessary step in order to obtain compensation for your injuries.  In fact, it is not uncommon to see claims being advanced against family members for injuries suffered in a car accident since we often travel with our families in vehicles along our roadways.

Most insurance policies in Ontario are issued with at least $1,000,000 in liability coverage to respond to these claims.  Your husband’s auto insurer should respond to your claim for damages in the same way it would if a stranger had caused the accident. Your claim can include damages for pain and suffering, income loss, health expenses and other expenses. There are strict time limitations to start a lawsuit in Ontario. Don’t delay obtaining legal advice!
Francesca Rollo
Francesca Rollo
P: 905.572.5825