My teenage grandson was injured in a car accident. I have a very close relationship with my grandson. Can I sue the at fault party for my damages?

The Family Law Act recognizes that family members can be affected and suffer losses and damages as a result of the injury or death of a loved one.  Certain family members including, children, parents, spouses, siblings and grandparents may be entitled to recover damages in addition to the injured or deceased person.  The family member can only sue if the injured person is hurt due to the negligence of another and is or would be entitled to recover damages for that injury.
Family members may be able to recover money to compensate them for the loss of care, guidance and companionship of the injured relative.  Although money can never replace the contribution of a loved one, courts have attempted to calculate in dollars the value of this loss. This loss is also subject to a significant deductible.  Family members may also be able to recover actual expenses incurred, travel expenses and economic losses including the value of providing services such as nursing and housekeeping.
As each family dynamic is unique, you should seek the advice of an experienced personal injury lawyer to determine whether you have a viable case for damages.
Anandi Naipaul
Anandi Naipaul
P: 905.572.5820