Can I be disinherited by a Will on the basis of discrimination?

Generally speaking, a person has the “testamentary freedom” to do what he wants with his Estate upon death, though there are some limits on that freedom owing to public policy concerns, and potentially including blatant discrimination.

My teenage grandson was injured in a car accident. I have a very close relationship with my grandson. Can I sue the at fault party for my damages?

The Family Law Act recognizes that family members can be affected and suffer losses and damages as a result of the injury or death of a loved one.  Certain family members including, children, parents, spouses, siblings and grandparents may be entitled to recover damages in addition to the injured or deceased person.  The family member can only sue if the injured person is hurt due to the negligence of another and is or would be entitled to recover damages for that injury.

What should I do before buying a franchise?

Buying a franchise is an attractive way of starting a business, as the franchisee is able to utilize the business methods and support offered by the franchisor, including trademarks, marketing strategies, accounting systems, procurement channels, etc.

I was struck by an automobile while riding my bicycle.

I was struck by an automobile while riding my bicycle.  Can I receive compensation?

If I am involved in a corporation with other shareholders, should we have a Shareholders' Agreement?

If I am involved in a corporation with other shareholders, should we have a Shareholders’ Agreement?

Jeffrey Manishen - a dedicated advocate in criminal law

Hamilton criminal lawyer Jeffrey Manishen has dedicated more than 30 years of his career to defending people charged with murder and other offences, working as a strong advocate for his clients.

Both parents are entitled to receiving information on their children.

I am a parent, the other parent doesn’t give me any information about my child. Am I entitled to information?

Wrongful death due to negligence - there is compensation for family members

My loved one died suddenly and tragically as a result of the negligence of another person.  Do I have a claim?

Physician assisted dying: following guidelines from the courts and colleges

Andrew Spurgeon says doctors should follow guidelines set by medical colleges and provincial courts on physician-assisted dying as it's unlikely Ottawa will have legislation in time for the court-imposed June 6 deadline.

Jeffrey R, Manishen on the Ghomeshi verdict

Jeffrey R. Manishen weighs in on the Jian Ghomeshi verdict.