Susan joined Ross & McBride LLP as a result of the merger between Lazier Hickey and Ross & McBride LLP. Her area of practice is Wills, Trusts and Estates. Her ability to connect with people from all backgrounds coupled with her desire to focus on the needs of her clients, ensure that Susan is able to translate the wishes of her clients into effective Will and Estate planning.
Susan’s professional abilities and sound judgment are quickly recognized by her clients, and as a trusted solicitor, Susan is often requested to act as Estate Trustee. These attributes are also recognized by her colleagues, and on several occasions Susan has acted as an Estate Trustee During Litigation. Susan believes that every Estate is important, no matter the size, and enjoys assisting her clients in arranging their affairs so as to best effect their wishes. Susan will often meet with her clients outside of the office, as she realizes this is essential for many individuals in order to meet with their lawyer.
Susan obtained her law degree in 1991 from the University of Western Ontario, after graduating from McMaster University with a Bachelor of Arts degree. In addition to practising law, Susan enjoys maintaining her perennial garden, and skiing and travelling any chance she gets.
Areas of Expertise
- Assistance with Estate planning including the preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney and Trusts
- Preparation of Continuing Powers of Attorney, Powers of Attorney for Personal Care, and Powers of Attorney for Property
- Applications for Certificates of Appointment of Estate Trustee, also known as Probate
- Estate administration tax planning, such as multiple Will preparation
- Preparation of special purpose trusts, such as Henson trusts created for individuals receiving benefits under the Ontario Disability Support Program
- Assistance to Executors / Estate Trustees in all aspects of estate administration including the administration of Estates where there is no Will
- Assistance with Estate accounting, distributions to beneficiaries and winding up of Estates
- Preparation of Applications to Pass Accounts in Estates, funds and guardianship matters
Organizations and Activities
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Hamilton Law Association
- Hamilton Lawyers’ Club