In the event of a Canada Post strike we will do our best to ensure alternative delivery methods are used for client communications.  We can accept communications via email at or fax 905.526.0732.  For account payments e-transfers and credit card payments can be made.  Please call us for further instructions 905.526.9800.

My disability insurer is now saying I don’t qualify for benefits and my employer says it currently has no vacant positions that fit my medical restrictions. What do I do?

If you’ve gone on a medical leave from work and you’ve run out of EI sick benefits and/or short-term disability benefits you should apply for long-term disability benefits if you have them (often through work).  Ask your employer or insurer for the forms.   If you’re denied, you should get advice right away from a lawyer that specializes in employment law or disability law.   If you’re facing a situation as a worker like this – where you’re having trouble returning to work and denied long-term benefits – we can help you sue the disability insurer, if necessary, and help you figure out if there’s a better option, which might involve pushing for modified work with your employer.   You should get legal advice before making any decisions; the strategy may well hinge on the medical evidence.

Feel free to call me if you have questions or want to book a quick consultation in relation to this issue or any other employment issue.  
Wesley Jamieson
Wesley Jamieson
P: 905.572.5806