What happens if I can't find the original Will?

Generally speaking, an original Will is required for the Court to issue a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee (formerly called “probate”); and even where probate is not necessarily required, a deceased person’s financial institutions will likely require the original Will or a notarial copy.

Seeking integrity in personal injury advertising

Maintaining professional credibility and integrity in personal injury advertising is essential as lawyers aim to serve individuals undergoing some of the most difficult experiences of their lives, says Hamilton personal injury lawyer Andrew Spurgeon.

An Evening with Ndaba Mandela

Ross & McBride was proud to sponsor  an Evening with Ndaba Mandela, a fundraising event for his Africa Rising Foundation, and the Hamilton charity, Empowerment Squared. 

Some people write protest Wills - Wills where they make a statement to demonstrate their dissatisfaction. Are these Wills valid in Canada?

Mr. McCorkill died in February 2004.  In his Will, after paying his debts and taxes, he left his estate to the “NATIONAL ALLIANCE, a Virginia corporation”, an organization who was described as racist, white supremacist, and hate-inspired.  Isabelle, Mr. McCorkill’s sister, applied to the New Brunswick courts to set her brother’s Will aside.

I was at a public City park with my child when he was attacked by a dog. What are my rights?

As the mother of two young children and a frequent visitor of public parks, I am surprised by the number of dog owners who allow their dogs to run freely and unleashed in public areas which are heavily populated. If you or your child is attacked by a dog, you can sue the dog owner(s) for damages and expenses.

I have been appointed the executor of my parent's estate with my sibling. He knows how to manage money better than I do. Can I allow him to do all the work?

“Silent” executors beware!  As an executor, whether you actively participate in the administration of the estate or not, you are fully responsible for what happens in the estate.

Congrats to our Class of 2016 Articling Students

Congratulations to our Class of 2016 articling students on their Call to Bar.

Can I justifiably ask for more "pay in lieu" than has been offered from my former employer if I am fired?

Most employees are entitled to minimum amounts of notice (or pay in lieu, etc.), under applicable legislation as well as more generous “pay in lieu” under what is called the principle of reasonable notice of termination at common law. 

In order to sue my employer, do I have to pay money (or a �retainer�) upfront, or pay for legal work by the hour?

No, often you don’t have to pay legal fees upfront.  I recognize that money is tight when you’ve been laid off, or you’ve been let go, and sometimes it's better to not worry about every penny at the outset when you’re up against a well-funded employer and their lawyer. 

Changes to insurance benefits in Ontario warrant a conversation with your broker.

For all auto policies that are renewed after June 1, 2016, there will be significant decreases in your access to benefits. For this reason, you should contact your broker or adjuster and consider purchasing optional benefits including the following: