Why do I need a Will?

In brief, the answer to this question may be summarized as follows:

I am purchasing a property. I keep hearing about different types of insurance. What insurance do I need?

If you are purchasing a house and putting a mortgage on the property, your mortgage lender will require that fire insurance is in place.  Even if you are not placing a mortgage in connection with your purchase, you should ensure that you have obtained fire and liability insurance.

Here we grow again!

November is 'Make a Will' month.

November is Make a Will Month

Did you know that over 60% of Canadians don't have a will?

What are the consequences of failing to comply with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation?

Substantial fines. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has imposed significant penalties on businesses for failing to comply with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). The CRTC’s “enforcement approach” aims “to deter others who may be tempted to violate the law, so they understand what is required to comply and what the consequences are if they fail.” Last year, for example, Compu.Finder, a Quebec based company, was fined $1,100,000 for violating CASL.

Because of stress, I have been on a medical leave from work. My doctor supports me returning to some kind of work, just not with the same old work conditions I had. But my employer is not cooperating

Luckily, human rights laws in most parts of Canada now dictate that your employer has to “accommodate” any legitimate restrictions you have – at least those connected to specific grounds like age, creed, race, disability, etc.

My disability insurer is now saying I don’t qualify for benefits and my employer says it currently has no vacant positions that fit my medical restrictions. What do I do?

If you’ve gone on a medical leave from work and you’ve run out of EI sick benefits and/or short-term disability benefits you should apply for long-term disability benefits if you have them (often through work).  Ask your employer or insurer for the forms.

What can I do to keep kids safe on Hallowe'en

Here are some Hallowe'en Safety Tips.

Does a Charity have Freedom of Expression?

The short answer is no. The “political activities” of Canadian charities and not-for-profit corporations are strictly regulated. The Income Tax Act limits the amount of resources a registered charity can devote to political activities.

I was “doored” by a car while riding my bicycle. Is this considered a motor vehicle accident? Can I obtain compensation?

Being “doored” is a hazardous accident when a driver of a parked vehicle opens the door in the path of a cyclist. The cyclist, the bicycle or both are hit causing the rider to be knocked off the bike.